A top science question the candidates for president should answer is:

How will you balance scientific information with politics and personal beliefs in your decision-making?

12. Scientific Integrity. Many government scientists report political interference in their job. Is it acceptable for elected officials to hold back or alter scientific reports if they conflict with their own views, and how will you balance scientific information with politics and personal beliefs in your decision-making?

349 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • garold stonegarold stone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think Shawn Otto hit the sweet spot with the phrasing this question. The question is general enough to cover most concerns about the need for science-based policy and its obstruction by ideology (religious and non-religious). The question is open, so as to draw out substantive answers from the candidates -- not just yes/no sound bites. The question does not have any biased presumptions that would make it easy to dismiss rhetorically. -- So, strategically, i think it should be the top science question for presidential candidates -- instead of some of the emotionally charged ZINGERs that currently have more votes.

Feedback and Knowledge Base