A top science question the candidates for president should answer is:

With the overwhelming body of evidence for both evolution and climate change, why do you still not believe that both are true?

What then does it take for you to believe in a scientific theory? We all know that Romney and Santorum will tell you that they do believe in some scientific theories. So we need to know which ones, and why they do believe in them.

356 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Joe RheaJoe Rhea shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Robert KeefeRobert Keefe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe it would be helpful to point out to political candidates that all scientific theories are arrived at using the same fundamental process - no exceptions! Scientists don't use one process to come up with a description of how new species originate, and another to describe the atomic nature of matter, or the force of gravity. Scientific theories can, and sometimes do, change over time. But only with the acquisition of new data obtained using the scientific method which is published and universally accepted by peers. Finally, one should never phrase this question as "do you believe....". Evolution is not a belief (like a religion is). It's an explanation based upon facts & years of collected knowledge obtained by science practitioners.

• Ronald HavelockRonald Havelock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is no real consensus on climate change and what causes it. Properly assembled evidence is the only rule to follow here. My liberal friends have been misled by environmental fanatics masquerading as scientists. I am a strong supporter of Barack Obama, but I am hotly opposed to Al Gore and his scare-mongering on climate. Global temperatures have been flat for 15 years. Furthermore, evolution and climate change are two entirely different topics. Those who framed this question slanted it to commit respondent to green ideology.

• WaltWalt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with John and Dave here - this is an accusation with a question mark at the end. I like John's version instead.

• DaveDave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This question has an accusatory tone and makes many assumptions. Much better would be two questions asking what their views are on evolution and climate change.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

John's rewording of the question seems to get to the heart of the matter in a respectful way. If the amended wording is acceptable to Joe, it's got my vote.

• John MenningerJohn Menninger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A direct question is likely to be evaded, if not ignored. Perhaps a less direct version: Why do you think in the face of overwhelming scientific evidence that so many people doubt evolution and climate change? How can this issue be resolved politically?

• GrumpyGrumpy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This entry actually has TWO questions, which I think is a mismatch for the purpose of this poll.
        These two questions seem more like an attempt to convince the Republican candidates, who we already know from campaigning do not understand the process of evolution.
        if a candidate needs to be taught or convinced, he is not a good choice.
        In summary, I do not care for this entry.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't like the way this is worded. It is too easy to duck as assuming the answer. More pointed would be what does it take to convince you?

• Robert J. KolkerRobert J. Kolker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The issue is NOT climate change, which is manifestly the case. The issue is to what degree is human activity the main cause or driver of the change

• Dave BDave B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would avoid use of the word "believe". Rather, "... why do you not accept that both are true."
        Belief is for religions and ideologies. We accept or reject a scientific explanation for a phenomenon based on the evidence.

Feedback and Knowledge Base