A top science question the candidates for president should answer is:

Should the United States fund a "War on Aging "?

Slowly but surely scientists,and doctors are beginning to understand why people inevitably age and die. Slowly but surely, progress is occurring in the field of life extension. Much work remains to be done but in a country that declares,"life" as the first inalienable right in its Constitution, pursuit of indefinite life extension should be a national priority!

1,383 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Thomas MooneyThomas Mooney shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Do you have any interest in supporting life extension research feilds like antiaging and cryonics?  ·   · 

131 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JamesJames commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This question directly relates to the question of overpopulation. The world is a finite resource so we must also be concerned with overpopulation. We must start planning for a different future, one when humans can live on the resources available. Fund space exploration and colonization, research into alternative sources of energy, water management, etc. Living longer comes with responsibility to each other, to humanity.

• Florin ClapaFlorin Clapa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No, this is not a joke. You probably assumed that "life extension" means extending the quantity of life in which old people will suffer from the diseases of aging, but what it actually means is extending the quantity and quality of life by curing ALL of the diseases of aging. The description should have been different to avoid this kind of common misunderstanding.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is this a joke? With all the other issues that need to be dealt with, what's the point of putting a priority on simply existing on this planet longer?

• Bob LamarreBob Lamarre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There will be a presidential candidate on this year ballot. Her name is JILL REED who will promote this cause.She is running as an Independent for the TVP party, to find out more about JILL and the TVP party go to www.trackjill.com and www.tvp2012.org

• Andrew TarrAndrew Tarr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes. The series of accumulated diseases and ailments that constitute "aging" is mankind's biggest and most immediate problem. The ability to maintain the level of health and vitality we have in our 20's would, overnight, make people so much more productive that we would then solve most of the other problems facing humanity. Our most experienced and learned people (generally speaking, older people) would now have the energy to go along with their developed minds.

Yes, it should be the number one priority on the planet. There is nothing to be gained from dying, it's barbaric. Obviously, it would create a lot of jobs and make a boat load of money for someone but ultimately, it's just the right thing to do.

• manorbornmanorborn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes. But the government would have to do what it was created to do: act in the best interests of the people it represents, not the corporate "persons" who have co-opted it. That is, it's not that government per se that's the problem, it's government acting in the interest of for-profit entities.

At this juncture in time, it is quite clear, corporations will only act to secure thier quarterly bottom line. Life extension may or may not fit those needs. Consider the many breakthroughs in medical science whose patents have been purchased in a "deal you can't refure" by big pahrma because implementation of those breakthroughs might threaten profit margins on existing products. Consequently, a government responsible to its people may be the only way life extension moves forward with any integration and consistency.

• Robert J TarrantRobert J Tarrant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Planned redundancy should not apply to humans. We are not throw-away items. People are more important to us than anything else in the whole world yet we continuously flush the best educated, most experienced and wisest down the funeral home.

As a country develops its birthrate drops to below self replenishment [eg. USA, Korea most of Europe etc] allowing life-extension to proceed without the worry of overpopulation. This would reduce the cost of primary and secondary education as well as health costs. People will make better life decisions, not only because they have greater experience but because they will actually be around to reap the benefits. We will take greater care of the planet for ourselves instead of leaving it up to our grandchildren to pay for our short sightedness.

These are just some of the surprising advantages of extending healthy human life. Many others can be anticipated once the reality of life extension sinks in. When life extension is weighed against all other options, they pale in comparison. If we are wise enough now to focus our resources here, other problems will become much easier to solve.

This is what most people really want anyway, so don't get side tracked!

Absolutely, but only with the proviso that anti-aging accompanies longevity to insure a productive, rewarding extension of life and all its possibilities.

• forrest waltersforrest walters commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Aging first uglifies, at least in this culture, then debilitates, and finally, kills everyone not already dead from other causes. Paraphrasing the song from World War II, "kills 'em all, kills 'em all, the long and the short and the tall."

Please do it! You can save you and people you love, and millions of people. Will we stop aging or not? There is no such question any more! The only question is when. And another one question is will you and people you love still be alive or all of you will die of age related disease two years before mankind will finish aging. Take it personally! If you still doubt go to your Mom today take her hands and look into her eyes and tell her: you know Mom nerds are telling to the world that they can stop aging, it means you will not die in suffering from aging, it does not make you immortal but still it means now that you are not doomed. It seems so strange to me but I don't have time to learn more about it and I don't think we should give any money to scientists who are promising to stop it we better put these money to wars, enterntainment and many other funny things. What about you Mom, thank you for giving me a life but I am not ready to do something worthy for you. No doubts, I ll send you gifts for Christmas and will take care of your funerals when you die. Everybody will see what a great son you have Mom. But don't expect that I will try to save you from suffering. OK. I must to go watching my show, see you Mom! Don't forget your pills!!

• Bob WaymanBob Wayman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rather than complaining about the government, I simply do everything I can do to improve my own health and hope someday the hope in the book "Abundance" comes to pass.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base