A top science question the candidates for president should answer is:

should our business and law schools address science issues?

We always hear from business leaders that American students are illiterate when it comes to business and economic issues. But are our future leaders who largly come from the business and law communities knowledgable enough about the science issues that they will have to deal with? Can they calculate the economic impact that nature has on our economy? Should basic science and environmental science be taught in business and law schools? Should profits always take precedence over environmental destruction? Should developers build in geologically hazardous areas (ie. barrier islands, landslide areas) or fill-in wetlands? Should air pollution be paid for before or after it leaves the stack? Who should pay for cleanups?

"Reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled."
Richard P. Feynman

11 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    John EastlundJohn Eastlund shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ronald ChappellRonald Chappell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems that we cannot even trust a large contingent of our scientists to render decent scientific work worthy of supporting government policy. What hope is there in getting our political leaders with a few science survey courses to make any better decisions. I think Feynman has it about right. nature cannot be fooled and reality will out. The problem we face now is just how much economic damage will our political leaders do until reality finally rears its ugly head.

Feedback and Knowledge Base