A top science question the candidates for president should answer is:

When scientific consensus on an important public policy issue runs contrary to your views or your party's platform, what will you do?

Science isn't about what's popular, or confirming our beliefs, or what makes us feel good; it's about getting at the truth of how the world works. In matters of public policy past administrations have chosen to ignore science when the evidence ran contrary to their party's position on an issue. As a leader, will you support sound policies based on good science even if they are unpopular with some of your constituents?

32 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Murray DunnMurray Dunn shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ray KrepsRay Kreps commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Science is finding the way things are made. Every persons so called God is credited with making everything. If you believe in God you have to believe in science. Most lay people do not have the knowledge or ability to question a scientist but our so called God gave us a brain to find out for ourselves. Do not question what you do not know.

• JamesJames commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe an example would help. What if a cure for Cancer was found but sharing that cure would have a negative impact on the pharmaceutical industry, what would you do? Would you support providing funds to help the industry transition to another effort?

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like it, but this is one no politician will ever answer. Mittens will do the no-hypotheticals thing.

Feedback and Knowledge Base