2016 Presidential Science, Tech, Health, and Environmental Forum

What are the top science, tech, health, and environmental questions the candidates for president should answer?

INSTRUCTIONS:
A) Be sure to vote on existing questions.
B) Address your question to the candidates and ask about their policy positions. Don’t ask rhetorical questions. Ask your question in summary form (your “headline” question), then a new window will open up, where you should:
C) Provide more detail in a 2-part format:
1) Declarative statement (1-2 sentences max) describing the situation and context, followed by
2) Question (1 sentence) asking what they will do about it if elected.

FOLLOW THIS EXAMPLE FROM 2012:
What priority will you give to funding scientific research?
Federally funded research has helped to produce America’s major postwar economies and to ensure our national security, but today the UK, Singapore, China, and Korea are making competitive investments in research. Given that the next Congress will face spending constraints, what priority would you give to investment in research in your upcoming budgets?

A top science question the candidates for president should answer is:

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. What are the steps that you are willing to take to improve the food security of the nation for generations to come?

I would like to find out whether they would support increasing the funding for ideas that promote food security. There are many ways albeit controversial such as Genetic Modification and creating seed/crop vaults to secure food during times of crisis (Example Svalsbard, Norway).

2 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Food & Ag  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • What measures should be taken to solve the public health problem of bacterial resistance to antibiotics

Drug Companies are not developing new antibiotics because it isn't profitable for their business, yet bacterial resistance to antibiotics will create a public health disaster in the future. We need substation federal government funding for research and development of new antibiotics to combat infections and diseases cured by currently existing antibiotics! What would you do about this?

2 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Medicine  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Can we use alternative food and fiber producing methods to create a worldwide peace process

Peace has always been found with a Breakthrough in expanding the Food and Fiber supply . The Green Revolution was a perfect example .
        Today we are again faced with the phenomenon of population growth outpacing supply . Would you as President promote and create Long term funding priorities that would combine the fields of Alternative Energy and Food and Fiber producing abilities to alter the use of current raw materials that with our current methods of using these materials is exhausting our water and Mineral resources ?
        Technology like www.verticalfarm.com and http://www.new-harvest.org/mark_post_cultured_beef has Huge water saving potential , so…

2 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

• If we stop burning fossil fuels today, we still have 400ppm & rising. How do you plan to mitigate the legacy carbon levels?

One idea is soil carbon sequestration using regenerative agricultural practices. This will provide jobs, clean food, healthy soil and carbon sequestration - all in a cost-effective manner.

5 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Climate Change  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Colombian peace and posconflict

USA - Colombia International relationships are becoming increased. ¿What are the best course for it now with a new peace stabilization?

2 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • What will you do to reform FDA policy to speed cures for 30 million Americans who have incurable disease?

Secretary Clinton & Mr. Trump have both remained silent with regard to FDA reforms which nearly 400 members of the current Congress back in order to speed the necessary approvals of medical treatments that have been available in Europe, Canada and Japan for a decade or more. As President, what would you do to speed the approval of both the 21st Century Cures and Right to Try Initiatives that most Americans appear to agree with?

3 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Medicine  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Will you support rapid international cooperation in space to develop lunar-solar power to bring cheap electricity to everyone on Earth?

Dr. David Criswell's detailed PDF at
                http://www.searchanddiscovery.com/documents/2009/70070criswell/ndx_criswell.pdf
                describes in detail existing technology could end wars and pollution by bringing microwaved energy most-efficiently collected from solar panels built on the Moon from lunar materials, described in general at http://LunarSolarPower.org

2 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Renewable Energy  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • What alternative research is on to compensate for the inability of science to unravel the deeper truths of life?

the common Western belief is that science and spirituality are two totally different subjects. But the truth is science is spiritual and spirituality is scientific. Both are interrelated subjects. the difference lies in their approach towards world and life. Science is pure extroversion, whereas spiritual can be both extroverted and introverted. The spiritual pursuit that is commonly believed to be different from science in its approach is because of the emphasis on introverted self inquiry into the various personality layers of the human, both gross and subtler layers. Where science is without answers, spirituality gives new opportunities and clues to…

2 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Can a sugar tax be viable?

Much research has highlighted the detrimental effects of sugar on western society. One film - That Sugar Film - demonstrates and describes the effects brilliantly. Is there any hope of encouraging consumption of healthier foods by introducing a sugar tax and subsidizing the growth of genuinely healthy foods such as seaweed?

2 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• What milestone program would you propose that America lead during your administration?

In the 1960's, the president challenged America to land a manned craft on the moon. The result was a focus that spurred innovations and multiple discoveries in a milestone achievement. What milestone event would you propose for America?

2 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• What criminal penalties will you make happen towards animal poaching and atmosphere polution under your administration?

Animal poaching, illegal fishing, declining biodiversity, melting ice caps, and carbon pollution are on a non stop rise. Who will stop this vicious cycle end with the new president?

13 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Biodiversity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • How would you work to restructure institutions, including Congress, to foster integrated treatment of integrated issues?

Our institutions seem ill-equipped in addressing issues that cut across scientific and organizational boundaries, yet that defines today's most significant issues. How would you restructure the national conversation and governmental organization to foster integrated treatment of such issues?

2 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Thought Process  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • What are you going to do about the digital divide and universal service? What steps to provide more ISPs to people living in rural areas?

https://s3.amazonaws.com/media.hudson.org/files/publications/20160419KuttnerTheEconomicImpactofRuralBroadband.pdf

I live in a rural area with 1 ISP and it is hurting my ability to earn a quality education. Internet access is key to success in this competitive job market. Librarys and that are not open past midnight and therefore no access in town or near my home is possible. Considering I am poor already - I cannot imagine the children growing up around here being able to compete with their friends that live in town.

2 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Internet  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • With the disintegration of the ''family'', to what extent should the ''government'' intervene ''in loco parentis''?

The full spectrum of childhood development is in crisis from the care of expectant mothers to adulthood, being most severe from the beginning through infancy to puberty. Fractured families, economic dislocation, basic poverty, loss of support for public education, multi-ethnic and cultural isolation, etc. It really does ''take a village''. How do we make this happen through our collective institutions, led by or at least sanctioned by ''government'' on a priority basis before we become a feral ''Mad Max'' society?

2 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Mental Health  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Why has there been no full tranperancy about the technical details about GMO's? It appears to be information "classifed".

There is a dire need to have full disclosure about GMO's impact on the environment and on public health. These corporate companies are making profits on something there is very little REAL scientific research on.

3 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Climate Change--Nature or man made?

Gore-Obama/UNO agree with the conclusion of 99% scientists that the rising temperature, melting ice, rising sea levels is due to man-made CO2 and putting 100% effort to reduce CO2--only 1-scientist disagrees and comes up with evidence to prove the cause is Nature--would you listen to that or go with the flow?

9 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Climate Change  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • 2 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • 2 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Will you financially support the research of artificial alternatives for impaired organs and functionalities in the human body?

There are studies taking place that are researching the potential use of artificial prosthetic substitutes for organic functionalities happening in the body that could revolutionize terminal diseases. What is your standing on the subject?

3 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Biotech  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • US children rank poorly in science and math. How will they improve STEM education in the USA?

In the 2012 Program for International Student Assessment (PISA) assessment of reading ability, math and science literacy and other key skills among 15-year-olds in dozens of developed and developing countries, the U.S. ranked only 35th out of 64 countries in math and 27th in science. What plans do the candidates have to make US children more competitive?

7 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Science Education  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 24 25
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base