2016 Presidential Science, Tech, Health, and Environmental Forum

What are the top science, tech, health, and environmental questions the candidates for president should answer?

INSTRUCTIONS:
A) Be sure to vote on existing questions.
B) Address your question to the candidates and ask about their policy positions. Don’t ask rhetorical questions. Ask your question in summary form (your “headline” question), then a new window will open up, where you should:
C) Provide more detail in a 2-part format:
1) Declarative statement (1-2 sentences max) describing the situation and context, followed by
2) Question (1 sentence) asking what they will do about it if elected.

FOLLOW THIS EXAMPLE FROM 2012:
What priority will you give to funding scientific research?
Federally funded research has helped to produce America’s major postwar economies and to ensure our national security, but today the UK, Singapore, China, and Korea are making competitive investments in research. Given that the next Congress will face spending constraints, what priority would you give to investment in research in your upcoming budgets?

A top science question the candidates for president should answer is:

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Would you support either a revenue-neutral carbon tax or a national cap-and-trade system to address climate change?

There is an overwhelming consensus by 97% of climate scientists and every national science academy in the world that people are causing global warming and climate change by burning massive amounts of fossil fuels. How can we best transition to a clean energy economy that is based on energy efficiency and renewable energy sources such as wind, solar, and geothermal? For example, would you support either a revenue-neutral carbon tax or a national cap-and-trade system?

182 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Climate Change  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • The impending climate catastrophe is THE most important issue facing humanity. How do you propose to address it?

The impending climate catastrophe is THE most important issue facing humanity. How do you propose to address it?

173 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Climate Change  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • As president, how would you work to strengthen our country against the devastating consequences of climate change?

Whether or not *you* believe climate change is naturally caused or the result of human activity, the expected consequences -- including higher sea level, more severe strong hurricanes, and changing weather patterns leading to floods, droughts, and changing crop belts -- have the potential to devastate our country economically and socially. As president, how would you work to strengthen our country against the devastating consequences of climate change?

84 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Climate Change  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • If elected how will you battle climate change?

in California, for the forth year in a row they have had a extreme brought. This is due to less snow caps on mountains in the west, a direct result of climate change. Climate change has also affected when and where animals migrate and has increased average snowfall on the east coast. Both of these factors affect farming in America and if climate change is not addressed food production could be crippled. Not to mention the effects of climate change on all living things across the world.

76 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Do you support further funding and research into climate change? If yes, what would your administration do to help mitigate the problem?

How will the candidates administration deal with human caused side of climate change? How would they respond to those region affected by drought, rising sea levels, and potential conflicts over water resources?

65 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

• 63 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• With the IPCC panel on climate change coming in December do you support the United States taking a lead in the fight on climate change?!

I believe the United States should be a leader in the fight on climate change. The real debate is not if climate change is real. The debate is over how fast it is occurring. Let's find out.

53 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Given that sea level is rising because of climate change, what would you do to mitigate the costs to taxpayers from reckless development?

Private developers get encouragement from various government entities to build in geologically hazardous areas like surf zones and wetlands that are subject to storm surges and tidal flooding. Would you work to keep shorelines in the Public Commons where they would act as buffers to storms, be a source of public recreation, and be a habitat for wildlife? The taxpayers thru FEMA can't afford to bail out all the people who are stupid enough to live there.

51 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• What happens to carbon when it is released into the atmosphere?

Since some candidates propose that the science community seems so dead wrong on the science, I would like to hear the candidates idea on what happens to CO2 after it is released by one of hundreds of different man-made processes. If you become president, will you promise society and the world at large that you will take a 6th grade earth science class to become more informed on the issue.

41 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Why are you qualified to judge whether a consensus on climate science should be acted upon by government?

Ask them to state how scientists know that the temperature was warmer in the past? If they give correct answer (higher greenhouse gas concentrations in the atmosphere) then ask: why, since we can measure how much CO2, methane, water vapor, and any other greenhouse gas man is responsible for in the atmosphere, that the scientific community could possibly be correct about the distant past where they have only proxies for the actual amounts of these components in the atmosphere, but incorrect today when they have not only accurate measures of these greenhouse compounds, but sophisticated computer models to test whether…

41 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Climate Change  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Do you acknowledge the reality of the scientific consensus of climate change and pledge to do something about it?

Miami Mayor Tomas Regalado asked GOP candidates "Climate change means rising ocean levels, which in south Florida means flooding downtown and in our neighborhoods. It's an everyday reality in our city. Will you, as president acknowledge the reality of the scientific consensus about climate change and as president, will you pledge to do something about it?".

Will you honor his request for a pledge and acknowledge the reality of the scientific consensus of climate change and pledge to do something about it?

37 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• If you do not believe in anthropogenic climate change, where specifically does the science break down for you?

I would like to know that the candidates have actually looked into the science and are not just reiterating a platitude like " It's a natural cycle".
                          Do they believe that the earth is warming? Do they believe that co2 is a greenhouse gas? Do they believe that man's contribution to co2 levels is significant? Do they believe in data from ice cores?
                          An answer such as "The earth"s climate is always changing", shows me that they haven't looked into such a pressing problem.

35 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Climate Change  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • 34 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• 33 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• 31 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• 31 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Would you declare Climate Change a Major Disaster in order to mobilize all the resources of government to fully address Climate Change?

At this time, mitigating Climate Change requires a massive mobilization similar to those for the New Deal and World War II. Declaring Climate Change a Major Disaster will unleash the resources necessary to retrofit our economies to help stop Climate Change and build the resilience necessary to protect life, property and the environment from the consequences already unfolding from current Climate Change.

29 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Since the consequences of sea-level rise are so devastating, would you agree to pursue an aggresive strategy to reduce greenhouse gasses?

Recent observations and studies of ice-sheet dynamics and the earth’s climate system (oceans and atmosphere) indicate that the IPCC is greatly underestimating potential sea-level rise. In fact, one study indicates that we could see meters of sea level rise in this century or the next at the latest. Given that sea-level rise of several or more meters would render all of our cities at sea level uninhabitable, would you agree to pursue an aggressive strategy to reduce green-house gas emissions and put us on a sustainable green energy foundation for the future? Wouldn’t it be best to apply the precautionary…

29 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Is the Earth warming due to human-caused carbon emissions?

This is a basic sanity check. If they try to weasel out of it by saying "I'm not a scientist" or "the Earth's climate is always changing - sometimes warming, sometimes cooling", you know right away they're either scientifically illiterate or under the thumb of the carbon-burning industries.

27 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• What immediate steps would you take, once elected, to move forward America's transition off fossil fuels?

According to a recent IMF report, fossil fuels are globally subsidized to the tune of $5.3 trillion USD annually, that's $10 million dollars per minute, and this huge cost to society does not account for public health costs and the global cost to the environment on which we all depend.

An unfortunate fact of life in today’s political world is that the Republican Party and its supply chain of bought and sold ideologues is funded by fossil fuel interests like the Koch empire, as a GOP controlled Congress has so aptly demonstrated for the past 6 years, …there is no…

26 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base