2016 Presidential Science, Tech, Health, and Environmental Forum

What are the top science, tech, health, and environmental questions the candidates for president should answer?

INSTRUCTIONS:
A) Be sure to vote on existing questions.
B) Address your question to the candidates and ask about their policy positions. Don’t ask rhetorical questions. Ask your question in summary form (your “headline” question), then a new window will open up, where you should:
C) Provide more detail in a 2-part format:
1) Declarative statement (1-2 sentences max) describing the situation and context, followed by
2) Question (1 sentence) asking what they will do about it if elected.

FOLLOW THIS EXAMPLE FROM 2012:
What priority will you give to funding scientific research?
Federally funded research has helped to produce America’s major postwar economies and to ensure our national security, but today the UK, Singapore, China, and Korea are making competitive investments in research. Given that the next Congress will face spending constraints, what priority would you give to investment in research in your upcoming budgets?

A top science question the candidates for president should answer is:

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. What policies will you put forth to ensure scientific literacy?

There are areas in this nation where the scientific literacy rate is 15%. Every year scientist have to fight to keep non-scientific ideas, like intelligent design, out of textbooks and out of the classroom. Additionally, less than 2% of congress has any decent scientific training and it is so bad, most of congress does not even understand the difference between the term theory in colloquial English and theory in science demonstrated by the multiple occasions where they claim intelligent design is a competing theory, which is false, or that evolution is just a theory, which it is but in the…

183 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

8 comments  ·  Science Education  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • How would you improve American science literacy in an age dominated by science?

Our country, in many ways, is science illiterate. Presently, general education requirements at most universities are weighted heavily towards the social sciences, humanities, arts, and the like. At the high school level, students are only required to have 8th grade understanding of many subjects. Would you make general education requirements in science as important (equal credits) as humanities and arts at the college level?

88 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Science Education  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • How can we best keep pseudoscience and lies about science out of our classrooms when we do not set national standards?

I feel federal education funding should be dependent upon teaching science to standards that are set nationally, and prohibit non-scientific and pseudoscientific belief based systems from the classroom. Further, charter and religious schools with such curricula in place should receive no federal financial support, and no tax breaks.

81 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Science Education  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • What is the difference between a theory and a hypothesis?

Demonstrates rudimentary knowledge of science or lack thereof.

34 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Science Education  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • How are you going to make science education available to all children?

We need science to be our highest priority. How are you going to make science education available to all children? There also needs to be fun and lucrative incentives to inspire kids toward science.

32 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Science Education  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Do you support STEM education for all public and private primary and secondary schools?

Education of children is important. finding the future innovators that will help to find the new ideas, concepts and technologies for the betterment of humanity can not occur in a vacuum.

31 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• How will our children compete, when states are ignoring scientific facts in their curiculums?

With the advent of politicized curiculums on the state level, (such as the denial of evolution, and climate change). How do you intend to insure our children have the education and understanding nesessary to move forward with scientific innovations in a very competitive world market?

30 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• What will you do to ensure our public schools teach accurate scientific concepts?

An alarming number of school boards use their power to interject religious concepts and raise doubts about scientific consensus in their school science curricula. What will you do to ensure politics and religion aren't taught under the guise of science?

27 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Science Education  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Will you support national science standards for K-12 education?

With many school districts and even state boards of education controlled by creationists, we need national science standards to ensure that good science is taught in science classes. Will you support national science standards for K-12 education?

26 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Do you think scientific literacy is a problem in the United States?

For a country still "debating" topics like vaccines, whether or not creation is an alternative "theory" to our understanding of evolution, and most importantly climate change, the issue of scientific literacy poses a serious problem. How can we move forward as a society and address major issues if we aren't willing to discuss evidence and facts? Many Americans don't even understand the overall scientific process, which does not cling to ideas because of tradition, but constantly looks for better ways to support or reject ideas based on new evidence. Basic scientific literacy would help all adults perform in their jobs…

19 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• How would you ensure that everyone has the chance to study computer science in K-12?

To provide all US young people with an equal opportunity to participate in today's "information economy", President Obama's "Computer Science for All" initiative wants all US K-12 students to have the chance to learn computational thinking skills. These particular skills are only acquired by studying computer science, but very few K-12 teachers have any formal training in computer science. How would you address this problem?

19 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• How would you promote K-12 STEM education and what types of policies would you foster to bolster the pipeline of STEM-educated workers?

The adequacy and size of the U.S. science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) workforce is an ongoing concern for the aerospace and defense industry. Scientists and engineers are essential to U.S innovation and economic growth.

14 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• How would you help science teachers confront new topics?

A recent survey found that how science teachers understand and present climate change lags the understanding in the scientific community. On a range of topics, new discoveries and new techniques constantly require the nation's science teachers to update their lessons or risk letting their students lag behind.

How would your administration help teachers, districts, and states stay on top of new advances?

11 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• US children rank poorly in science and math. How will they improve STEM education in the USA?

In the 2012 Program for International Student Assessment (PISA) assessment of reading ability, math and science literacy and other key skills among 15-year-olds in dozens of developed and developing countries, the U.S. ranked only 35th out of 64 countries in math and 27th in science. What plans do the candidates have to make US children more competitive?

8 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Please tell me six science topics all elected officials should be familiar with and why you chose those six.

I'm tired of representatives not knowing what a theory is or radiometric dating or that carbon dioxide in the atmosphere allows the earth to be warm enough to sustain life. I'm tired of them not understanding the importance of peer review and having a large sample size. And can any of them explain herd immunity?

6 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• What will you do to significantly reduce student loan debt by $10000's from colleges/lenders exploiting young adults?

College education costs have multiplied over the last decade, exceeding inflation by multiples. I have $42,000 student loans to pay off, including private loans.

4 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base