2016 Presidential Science, Tech, Health, and Environmental Forum

What are the top science, tech, health, and environmental questions the candidates for president should answer?

INSTRUCTIONS:
A) Be sure to vote on existing questions.
B) Address your question to the candidates and ask about their policy positions. Don’t ask rhetorical questions. Ask your question in summary form (your “headline” question), then a new window will open up, where you should:
C) Provide more detail in a 2-part format:
1) Declarative statement (1-2 sentences max) describing the situation and context, followed by
2) Question (1 sentence) asking what they will do about it if elected.

FOLLOW THIS EXAMPLE FROM 2012:
What priority will you give to funding scientific research?
Federally funded research has helped to produce America’s major postwar economies and to ensure our national security, but today the UK, Singapore, China, and Korea are making competitive investments in research. Given that the next Congress will face spending constraints, what priority would you give to investment in research in your upcoming budgets?

A top science question the candidates for president should answer is:

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. We lack cyber security, from voting machines to governmental systems. How would you address cyber security?

Cyber security is ignored by many legislators, yet the candidates interface directly in the very act of voting. Many jurisdictions vote on unrecountable aging computer voting systems with proprietary software, “mandated” by the Help America Vote Act; the latest ill-advised impetus is using wifi and Internet voting (already implemented for our military in many states). Our very votes can be stolen! We have had many instances of credit card breaches (unlike votes, they are covered by insurance), and also employee data theft. It is difficult to teach lawmakers about these weaknesses when others are telling them all is well, trust…

56 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Internet  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • How would you balance privacy with security online and in personal devices?

The recent confrontation between the FBI and Apple Computer over the FBI's desire to create a back door around iPhone security and Apple's promise of security and privacy to its customers highlights the conflict increased technological power poses to both privacy and security. How would you balance this conflict to ensure the freedom of individual privacy from government intrusion while providing for national security?

16 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Internet  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • What steps would you take to move the nation from the current vulnerable cyber-infrastructure to one that can withstand foreseeable attacks?

The present U.S. cyberinfrastructure is undeniably vulnerable to a wide range of cyberattacks. How would your administration provide incentives to encourage the development and deployment of dependable cyberinfrastructure systems at reasonable cost and in a reasonable time period?

9 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Will you have an Internet development policy and will you consider creating a department for implementing that policy

The Internet is important resource that is changing every aspect of our lives. It is important that the potential uses of the Internet as a vital resource be identified and developed.

8 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

• What are you going to do about the digital divide and universal service? What steps to provide more ISPs to people living in rural areas?

https://s3.amazonaws.com/media.hudson.org/files/publications/20160419KuttnerTheEconomicImpactofRuralBroadband.pdf

I live in a rural area with 1 ISP and it is hurting my ability to earn a quality education. Internet access is key to success in this competitive job market. Librarys and that are not open past midnight and therefore no access in town or near my home is possible. Considering I am poor already - I cannot imagine the children growing up around here being able to compete with their friends that live in town.

2 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base