A top science question the candidates for president should answer is:

How would you reduce regulatory hurdles and encourage investment in new nuclear energy technologies?

We know that without global adoption, carbon-free energy production will not grow fast enough to reverse increases in atmospheric carbon dioxide. One of the only sources of carbon-free energy with the potential to be reliable and cheap enough to replace fossil fuels worldwide is nuclear energy, especially new technologies in development such as Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors. Currently, private US investments in next generation nuclear is going overseas due to the US regulatory environment that makes it nearly impossible to develop domestically. As one of our best hopes for addressing climate change, experts say we cannot continue to ignore this emerging technology. How would you reduce these regulatory hurdles and encourage investment in new nuclear energy technologies?

10 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Wayne Keith, PhDWayne Keith, PhD shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Alán Alán ApurimAlán Alán Apurim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors are the only kind I could support. But even though they're far cheaper than fission-based current-technology power-plants, I feel manufacturing millions of wind and ocean-current turbines is better, and for solar I promote LunarSolarPower.org as the best way of all — collectors built on the Moon from lunar materials, the energy is microwaved to rectennas near cities on Earth. We'll need twice as much electrical power for the ten billion people expected by 2060 to all have electricity and no need for wars over so-called fossil fuels or more fission nuclear-energy disasters.

Feedback and Knowledge Base