A top science question the candidates for president should answer is:

What would you as US president do to harden the American electrical grid against severe EMP events?

What would you as US president do to harden the US electrical grid against severe EMP (electro-magnetic pulse) events such as from severe solar flares or coronal mass ejections such as happened in 2012 but missed us or from nuclear attacks above the surface. This could cost about 2 billion dollars and could prevent over a trillion dollars of damage and many deaths and injuries of Americans and perhaps Canadians or others if the grid is down for months. The science and military communities have agreement that this is a real problem and could readily be fixed but this has been prevented especially by resistance from electrical utilities. If surge suppressors would be put on the high voltage lines this would significantly cut down on this risk and is economical and well within current technology but not much has been done especially at a federal level. Other countries including Russia and China are well along in hardening their grid what will you as US president do to get real progress in hardening the US and North American grid in your term in power?

31 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Doug CurrieDoug Currie shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Doug CurrieDoug Currie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I heard today on space.com in an articled titled The Active Sun: US Unveils Plan to Deal with Space Weather that President Obama has released a new document called National Space Weather Strategy by his National Science and Technology Council on how the United States would deal with severe space weather that could endanger the electricity grid or other things. My question now is will the new president use this or other place to do something concrete to protect the US (and neighbouring countries like Canada's) electricity grid and not just talk about it?

Feedback and Knowledge Base