What impacts have you seen or concerns have you voiced over science under president Trump?

Trump's Election Has Already Had A Chilling Effect

Trump's election to the US Presidency has already had a chilling effect on international relationships. The scientific community is truly an international enterprise, and the US has since World War II been at the forefront of research and teaching science and attracting worldwide talent. I am an astronomer in Chile, and I have I have documented brilliant students here who were once considering the US as an option for graduate school now seriously rethink those plans. The US, once thought to be a promising option for study and research, is looking less plausible as an option due to the campaign rhetoric of the President-Elect. If people from outside the United States are no longer be welcome into the country, if they are subject to harassment upon their arrival, if there are legitimate concerns for their safety, the US scientific community will suffer with nearly immediate effect.

10 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Joshua TanJoshua Tan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

0 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...