What impacts have you seen or concerns have you voiced over science under president Trump?

A Changed World Coming: Going backward

Among the things I fear is (1) going back to a time when abortion was unavailable and contraception was a secret, and expensive. Women's lives were determined and constricted by these conditions. Families were ruined. (2) It is not only Trump who will arrange this, but a significant portion of the Republic party (if they call my party the Democrat party, we should call theirs the Republic party) and they will do it through the Supreme Court appointments. After all, there was no publicly available contraception when the Constitution was written, and they want things to be only what was intended then! (3) The next worry is about their support of "Citizens United" and other measures that allow businesses to be "people" who can funnel fortunes into politics and elections. (4) They have invested in an industry of lying media,which has captured the minds of reality TV watchers. What is true is drowned out by the tsumani of lies and misinformation that they publish, report, and repeat endlessly. (5) Gerrymandering will not get better, but worse. (6) Their goal of making the federal government totally ineffective will involve reducing its income so that agencies cannot be effective. The aim is to close the FDA, EPA, IRS, DOE, and HUD (for a start). En route to that end, they will continue the budget & tax cutting that has already affected several of these agencies in important ways. Cuts to the IRS have already ensured that we do not collect the taxes owed. It will only get worse. With an even weaker FDA and EPA, our nation will again see industries creating new Love Canals and supplement companies selling even worse Snake Oil. It will mean every man for himself, in a world that is too complex for anyone to protect himself on his own.

Trump alone is not the problem. It is the backward looking views of the whole right wing of politicians.

7 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea