What impacts have you seen or concerns have you voiced over science under president Trump?

Trump will be sympethic to the public land transfer movement

Trump has already made statements that he will rollback regulations. This means that Federal agencies like the EPA and the BLM may see significant budgetary cuts to their agencies and radical changes in environmental protections and land management policies. The BLM is already seen in the west as a "Bureaucratic", with Washington D.C. in complete the control. GOP politicians have taken advantage of this perception and are actively trying to pass legislation that will strip power from the Federal Government. We are likely to see starving the BLM and EPA of funding and staff resources, thereby rendering these agencies ineffective. An example of this is the Environmental Impact Statement process, or also commonly known as NEPA, that is required for any type of mining, or oil and gas drilling project on Federal lands. Industry has long complained about preparing applications for this process and the long-review times it takes for the scientists at the BLM to technically review the documents. The public land transfer movement is partially fueled by industry who find this application process burdensome and expensive. They would like nothing more than to curtail the EIS/NEPA process by taking lands out of Federal control and transferred over to private or state management where these types of application processes are either severely lax or not required at all.

Trump has made statements that the west is a virtually gold mine of untapped resources that need to be unlocked. I feel that he would absolutely facilitate this process by removing any type of environmental check and balance process that agencies like the BLM use to make decisions on what types of projects are allowed on public lands.

6 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea